Mobile Computer Lab Policy
The Jasper County Public Library mobile computer lab is comprised of the following items:
2 Laptop Cases, each case contains:
- 5 regular wired mice
- 1 ergonomic wired mouse
- 5 laptop computers
- 5 A/C adapters
1 Battery Charger Case, which contains:
- Mobile Lab Instructions
- --- Laminated Battery Charger instruction sheet
- --- Laminated ergonomic mouse instruction sheet
- --- The Mobile Lab instruction sheet
- 1 16-pocket battery charger
- 1 Accessories Case, which contains:
- 18 laptop batteries – 10 on top, 10 8 in the middle
- 4 Surge Suppressors
- 1 USB floppy drive
Blue Bag, which contains:
- Epson PowerLite 61p LCD projector
- Remote Control
- Documentation (5 parts)
- Power Cord
- VGA cable
- USB cable
Black Bag, which contains:
- Laminated Wireless Lab Printing instruction sheet
- Folder with additional documentation (vendor-provided)
- HP Deskjet 460wf printer
Small accessory case, which contains:
- --- Printer battery
- --- Power cable (2 pieces)
- --- USB cable
- 10 mouse pads
The purpose of the mobile computer lab is to bring computer-based instruction to residents of our service area. When the lab is not being used by any of the three JCPL locations for a scheduled training session, it will be available to area colleges, businesses, and local organizations for hands-on training for their employees, members, or students. The lab must remain in the library.
The following conditions apply to the use of the JCPL mobile computer lab:
- The lab may only be used at the JCPL location where it is assigned for any given month as per a rotation schedule that is located in the library procedure manual.
- Reservations for the lab may be made by a) filling out a meeting room reservation form for the desired location and b) filling out a mobile lab request form.
- Food and drinks are not allowed near the laptops.
- Organizations using the lab assume responsibility for the safety of the equipment against theft, damage, or misuse. The equipment is the responsibility of the organization from the time library staff set it up until the time library staff take it down. The organization must complete a Registration Form in which they acknowledge responsibility for the equipment.
- If damage occurs, the organization using the lab will be billed for the cost of repair or replacement.
- Organizations using the lab will also be billed for loss or damage to peripherals such as power cord, external mouse, and power strips.
- Staff will troubleshoot lab problems as they are able. The organization using the lab must report any equipment malfunctions when notifying staff that they are done.
- It is highly recommended that the organization using the lab and/or designated trainers have some previous experience with the utilization of laptop computers.
- If using the Internet, it is highly recommended that the organization using the lab check ahead of time to make sure all of the websites they plan to visit are accessible through library filters.
- The organization using the lab may request an orientation session before their class, as library scheduling allows.
- Any files saved on the laptops must be saved to a virus-free diskette, CD/DVD, or USB flash drive. JCPL is not responsible for any lost files.
- Laptops are configured with a base set of software including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Publisher) and basic Internet tools such as Internet Explorer. JCPL does not have licenses for other software products to be installed. Organizations may install their own licensed software if they have no expectation of support; however, be aware that the machines are protected with security software which automatically restores the default setup any time the machine is rebooted.
- The lab is loaned in its entirety; that is, components are not available for loan on an individual basis.
- While no fee is currently charged for the use of the lab, donations are gratefully accepted.
- No deposit is required.
3/06; revised 9/12